EKNA supports local initiatives through a mini-grant program. Proposals will be considered for funding at the EKNA general meetings during the months of February, April, July, and October.
Neighborhood groups and projects can apply by sending a one-page project proposal including:
- Impact that EKNA funds will have on the EKNA community
- Desired amount of funding
Proposals must be received via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) the month prior to consideration. (For example, if you would like your proposal to be voted on at the October meeting, you would need to submit a proposal no later than September 30.) You will be invited to give a short presentation at the next membership meeting. Approval is based on membership vote and availability of funding. Funding amounts vary, but most grants are for $500 or less. For more information on guidelines and eligibility, please email email@example.com.
Here are some examples of EKNA’s past mini-grant recipients:
- Support urban farming and youth programming at Emerald Street Urban Farm
- Pilot a Mobile Music program for students at Hackett Elementary School in partnership with Rock to the Future
- Fund the Philadelphia Public History Truck’s fall storytelling party, where residents of East Kensington got to share their stories and contribute artifacts to be part of a mobile history exhibit
- Fund renovations and children’s programming at Hagert Street Playground
- Co-sponsor the site announcement party for the Kensington Community Food Co-op, a community-owned grocery store opening in the Kensington area
- Assist Friends of Hackett School in obtaining their 501c3 designation
- Help fund nutritious snacks and art supplies for the play school By My Side Neighborhood Parenting Group
- Provide support for Kensington Soccer Club’s end of the season celebration